Let’s be completely honest, it’s hard out here for a nerdy girl. Video games, sci-fi, comic books, etc. they’re designed for, marketed to, and are the express domain of boys. Day in and day out we ladies have to overcome silly preconceived notions about what nerds should look like. Here is a list of biggest obstacles we geeky girls face, because the struggle is real.
1. Internet connection. Hell, hath no fury like a woman with spotty internet connection. You have to admit that when Netflix starts buffering every shit will hit the fan. In today's day and age, we tend to take for granted reliable high-speed internet access. This is similar to the nerdy girl problem of being forced places without reception of Wi-Fi, but worse because you SHOULD be able to connect.
2. When no one gets your reference. Somedays we find that our nerdy is showing and no one understands what the heck we're talking about. Or when you have a witty comment/t-shirt/expression but your friends look at you like you cray cray. Half the fun of being a nerdy girl is fangirling and quoting from your obsession du jour, but only if you have someone to fangirl with! Have fun storming the castle!
3. Google. Do you find people treating you like their own personal google? Or do you have break down and actually google the answer a question? Or can’t let an argument/conversation go until you google the name of the actor in that one movie? Yeah, us too. Immediate access to ALL the answers is a blessing and a curse.
4. All the good ones. Are either married, gay, or fictional. Pretty self-explanatory. One of the struggles of being a nerdy girl is finding someone who measures up to your favorite fictional men. Because isn’t it normal to form irrational crushes on imaginary characters in books/movies/TV series that no one has ever heard of?
5. Pronunciation is a killer. Because you’ve read the word a thousand times, but that doesn’t mean you know how to say it out loud! So it becomes that awkward moment when you can't really commit to a pronunciation and just end up sounding it out in a slow creppy manner. And it almost always happens when you need to look like you know what you’re talking about.
6. You are not one with the force. The force is NOT with you. Because at one point or another you’ve “checked” to see if you developed a superpower or could use the force. But despite this, you still deep down believe you’ll get a superpower. I mean who cares about lab safety? Damn it, we want super powers!
7. Movie adaptations. Because you loved the book and hated the movie. But everyone loves the movie. Nothing is worse than a movie mutilating of one of your favorite books and all your friends LOVE it? Come one movie studios, they were bestsellers for a reason!
8. Nerd Inferiority complex. That moment when you want to nerd out, but are afraid that you aren’t quite nerdy ENOUGH? Because nobody wants to be that “fake” nerd. But then you feel like you need to over compensate and out nerd everyone? You've got to earn your nerdy street cred somehow.
9. Nerd chic. Because all the best t-shirts are designed for boys. Why are cute nerdy clothing for women few and far between? Don’t these people realize how much we like buying cute clothing?! And don't tell us about "unisex" clothing, because they were definitly not designed for anyone who has hips.
10. Cancellation. When you fall in love with a TV show, only to have it canceled. You sit there, episode after episode becoming emotionally attached only to have a suit to decide to pull the plug. It’s worse than a breakup. We’re looking at you FOX, we still haven’t forgiven you for Firefly.
Thanks for checking out our top ten nerdy girl problems! Hopefully, you enjoyed. If you're looking for other nerd awesomeness check out some of our other blog posts here!